Pages

Monday, July 20, 2015

Day 2 of This Blog's Revitalization

Several questions have been occupying my mind lately about the effectiveness of conservative news talk shows, both TV and radio.  Most of us know about Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Mark Levin, Laura Ingraham, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity and the like on the national stage, but there are some other folks who have caught my ear such as Chris Salcedo, Ben Ferguson and Michael Savage.  While most of these individuals speak to the same issues and from a similar perspective, there is no true unanimity of purpose across the spectrum.  Here are my queries, with some related commentary to illustrate each:

  • Are all of these admittedly highly involved communicators simply preaching to the converted and, if so, how can we get the message out to the broader conservative base that, for whatever reason, doesn't get the news about the things being done by government that adversely affect our freedoms?
I think of myself as fairly well-informed about the deteriorating state of the nation I grew up in, and for that I thank my husband, who introduced me to Fox News.  However, I was a bit taken aback to learn that two of my favorite co-workers have been operating in a vacuum where news about the harsh truths we are all enduring haven't penetrated.  As a result, I have taken it upon myself to keep them up-to-date on the latest attacks on our Constitution whenever I am with them, but I know that I am not doing as good a job as the proper exposure to consistently-focused news outlets would.

  • Most of us are aware of Ronald Reagan's "Eleventh Commandment" about Republicans attacking each other.   But I have noticed that this doesn't always translate to our galaxy of conservative news and talk show hosts.  What can be done to address this without eroding the listener base that differentiates one host from another?
Essentially, I would love to see all of these diverse personalities come together on a regular basis to get the word out about real opportunities to effect change in the downward spiral that has snared us all.  Perhaps this would even translate into helping to create cohesive large-scale action, such as petitions, write-in campaigns to Congress or a highly-organized march on our seat of government between now and the end of the Obama second term. My belief is that if these folks could find a way to come together on such projects, the word would find its way to the varied segments of the conservative base which would allow for the type of groundswell and backlash that has been lacking to date.

  • Finally, am I whistling in the wind to think that this sort of cooperation is a possibility?  I sincerely hope not.  If you buy into this new notion of cross-pollination of the conservative message, then please give me your ideas on ways that we can make this notion a reality.
My current plan is to put a few ideas together and create a memo to all of the commentators mentioned above, plus anyone else you feel would be an appropriate addition, asking them to at least consider having a sort of summit to speak to the issue of bring all of us conservatives together to tap into the power that we should be able to muster as a majority in this country.  Please think about this: given the rate at which the Administration is implementing detrimental changes, time is truly of the essence.

I welcome your feedback to this post or anything else that appears on this blog.  We must stand together without guilt in our majority.

More tomorrow...

No comments: